Sunday, August 29, 2010

Our Johns Island birthday adventure...

Wow...it's been so long since I've blogged anything. I'm horrible at this and finding less and less time to write. I'm going to try my best to blog at least once a week though on Phil and my recent adventures. Phil and I have been really blessed and within the last few months, as he's been able to come home just about every weekend. If you know anything about Phil's job, you'll realize how rare this is for us. Because of this, we're taking advantage of every moment we have together -- whether relaxing at the house and making dinner together, or seeking out a new adventure in SC, we're soaking up every minute we have as a couple. I'm so thankful we have this time together -- It's been incredibly hard being apart on and off so often, but God has really blessed us with moments we can share together. So i'm going to do my best to keep you updated on all our recent journeys (through cooking, restaurant hunting, outdoor exploring and life experiences!)

One of the most recent things we've done together is go out on a date (for Phil's Bday) to a place called The Wild Olive Restaurant on John's Island. I found this place online, when I was looking for Italian food as a surprise for Phil. I read some reviews and then found a great article in Charleston Magazine about this fairly new establishment. After hearing from close friends how amazing it was, I was ready for our date.

For one thing, if you're going to drive 40 plus minutes to eat, it better be a fun drive, and it was. The drive in itself is beautiful -- you cross a couple bridges on your way, and the views over the water, especially in the evening, is just gorgeous. It was such a relaxing ride that we almost missed our turn into The Wild Olive. It's tucked back a little bit, so if you plan on going, slow down once you get within a .5 mile.
Once inside, the atmosphere feels like home -- dim lighting, close seating and filled with people and laughter. It was shockingly loud inside, but i realized how much you can just relax and be yourself, because the scenary is anything but stuffy. One of my favorite features of the restaurant is the ceiling -- the room we sat in had large wood slabs suspended with white lights hanging from them...so pretty!
Beyond the atmosphere, was the delicious food. I could go on and on, but to cut to the chase, we both ordered fantastic entrees. Phil had the gnocchi with scallops and a creamy butter sauce, with a mix of vegatables. I ordered the swordfish on top of canallini beans, calamari, mushrooms and a butter based vinegrette. It was delicious. Phil had a really amazing caper berry martini, and I had an Italian mojito -- basil, lemon, vodka and some lemon sorbet....oh my lord. So good!

We finished our dinner off with the best tiramisu i've ever had, and expresso :) What made this night even better, was the conversation and laughter. It was so nice to just be husband and wife -- it felt like we were finally doing a "family" thing, and I love that.
Join us next week, for kayaking in Shem Creek (we're testing out whether we want single kayaks or a tandem!) Should be a good read haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment