Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Love Food: part 1

I’m fairly certain that food is one of my favorite past times. It’s not just that I adore food – and believe me, I a-d-o-r-e food – it’s that food seems to make up many of my fondest memories. Beyond just consuming amazing meals, the time you spend preparing the meal with a loved one, going to dinner with a close friend, or simply watching your mother mix up something incredible (with no recipe in sight), gives way to many special moments, with special people – and for that, food is close to my heart :)

I’m not sure what I love more: living in a city that seems to be the food capital for mouth-water dinners and scenic views, OR, finally having a kitchen to call my own, where I can experiment (often unsuccessfully) to my hearts content.

Since living in Charleston, Phil and I have tried several different restaurants in the city and in neighboring cities – some of them, especially one, has become a Judge favorite. If you are ever in Charleston , I must recommend “The Peninsula Grill” – Phil and I happened to be walking downtown one afternoon when we came across this restaurant – it’s jammed between other small shops and businesses near Market street, so we almost missed it. The small courtyard and garden attached to the side of the restaurant caught our eye though. We made late reservations, and came back that night dressed for a special occasion. Although the dinner as a whole is fairly pricey (about $50 dollars a person for a meal, drink and a dessert to split), it was worth every penny.
Phil’s family visited last year—and after raving about this place, we all went together for a meal. Lucky for us, there was a perfect spot in the courtyard to eat outside and enjoy the nice Lowcountry weather. One of my favorite parts about this restaurant is the atmosphere – the fact that in the heart of the city you can sit in a small garden with palm trees and lanterns, is amazing – its very Charleston! The seafood is delicious and fresh, and the chef always brings out a sampler “on the house.”
To finish off our meal, we split their famous Coconut Cake, which was featured on a Bobby Flay throwdown on the Food Network. Needless to say, we created some great memories over a wonderful meal. This place has certainly found a spot in my heart (and my stomache)!

No comments:

Post a Comment