Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Years goal one...of many.

Well, here it is…this girl finally has a blog. I’ve been itching to do it for a long time, and never have found the time or energy to establish one. As one of many goals for 2010 (definitely realized recently how many areas of my life could use some work), I’m going to start journaling again…only this time online!

This is a somewhat selfish goal, as it doesn’t matter if a soul ever reads this. It’s just nice to get your thoughts down … and this time, with a pretty background.
I must say, I’m excited to be in a new year. 2009 came with its many ups and downs, as I guess every year does – this year just seemed emotionally harder than others. In just one year, Phil and I gained a new Judge family member, our giant golden retriever Gus. He has kept me company on many nights when Phil and I have been apart due to our jobs. Although, I’ve lost a great deal of socks and underwear, I’ve gained a constant companion. By summertime, the Walrond family welcomed a new family member as well – Olivia, my adorable little sister from China. We waited years to get her, and prayed for her long before she was even born. How wonderful to have a toddler back in the family – she is pure joy.

Shortly after meeting the little one, I found out I’d be heading to Iraq for a 6 month tour. You would think after going through 3 other deployments, being apart from Phil wouldn’t feel as hard, but it doesn’t ever seem to get easier. Despite it all though, I looked at the opportunity as a new adventure – one I now know I’ll never forget. 2009 brought a sister and a dog into my life, but with it also came the loss of one of the dearest people to me, my grandfather. Looking back, I feel blessed that with the passing of a family member, I’ve been given the opportunity to get to know a new family member. It’s just unfathomable for me to think I’ll never see this man again – and I largely dread going home, to face this very fact. Being in Iraq, it’s easier to push all of the sadness to the side and not deal with it.
January 2010 felt much like relief when it finally got here … It’s nice to have a new year in front of me – to set new priorities and really focus in on the things that matter—my family and friends.

Though I’m not sure I’ll ever have something of real significant to say – its nice to have an avenue to get the everyday memories, joys and pains down in writing – the inner workings of this human heart!

2 comments:

  1. Thank the Lord we have the hope of seeing Granddaddy again! Love you and counting the days until your return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Kayla!

    I love your family :) they're amazing. Miss not having you all around any more.
    So glad you put together this blog- and soooo excited to have you coming back soon - we MUST see you at some point!

    much love and prayers :)

    ReplyDelete