Thursday, April 15, 2010

R & R is a beautiful thing...


Today is my last day of R & R before heading back to working again. It's hard to believe the time is up, but it was amazing to have the opportunity to rest and reunite with my family. When I got home, Phil met me at the airport and the Naimans (close family friends I've known since living in Turkey) surprised me there as well. I got in extremely late -- close to midnight, but Phil was really sweet and had dinner waiting for me at home. Knowing how much I'd missed mexican food, he had put together a mexican lasagna for us to eat :) We spent the next couple of days just relaxing together and working around the house, which we don't always get the chance to do. Later that week we headed to Pawley's Island to pick up my grandmother, Nomi. It was so wonderful to see her again. My grandfather passed away in December after a long battle with cancer -- it was hard to go back to a place that was filled with so many memories of him, without him there. Nomi drove up to VA with Phil and I to see my family for Easter. I was able to see all my siblings except two, which is pretty good! We spent the week cooking, going to the Zoo, going to the beach and playing Banana Grams (this was new to me, and i'm awful at it...) Phil and I were able to get to know my new sister Olivia better -- we had a lot of fun playing with her. Two is a fun (and busy) age! I can't tell you how nice it was to finally see Gus again too. He is 67 pounds of fur and slobber, but so sweet. Since coming home, i've really enjoyed our long walks together. I missed those so much.
After getting home, Phil and I spent a lot of time in the yard planting our first vegetable garden, crape myrtle tree and citrus trees :) Despite still being apart a lot, its nice to have these days where life feels normal. (Although Phil says I have no idea what "normal" life even is...haha).
Another project we took on was putting together the office...aka man room. We painted and hung pictures on the walls. Phil also was able to mount a TV in the room and get our new computer all set up. It was a fun project. We still have a few more things to do in that room, but its coming along!

The rest of our days were spent just relaxing together -- one day we headed into Charleston to walk down King Street -- we looked in the shops, ate at the Mellow Mushroom (amazing...), got some Starbucks and walked along the Harbor. It was a beautiful day to spend downtown.
Most nights we watched episodes of The Office -- i've only seen this show a couple of times, so I didn't know what I was missing out on! Our stomaches were sore after watching a few episodes!

Overall, its been an amazing time readjusting and getting back into a routine. It'll be hard to go back to work I think, but its so wonderful to know that i'll be going home each day. For those of you still overseas, you have much to look forward to when you get back, and I'm looking forward to your return!

No comments:

Post a Comment